Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Helping Out at the Hitchcock Center for Women

Daang. This is some deep stuff here. Am I ready for this? I'm accustomed to working with kids and teens from a volunteer perspective. This spring, I am going to assist my friends Mike and Veronica on a urban gardening project at the Hitchcock Center for Women, a treatment facility for women in rehab. I will assist them in all aspects of the venture, from planning, planting, harvesting and marketing. I became familiar with the center at our Green Jobs Now day last fall. Two or three years ago, there existed a thriving garden planted by the women at the center that raised self esteem as well as money. For some reason, the garden was abandoned over the last two years, but Mike and Veronica have been charged with bringing it back to life. It will be a blessing to do my part in helping women to blossom into beautiful flowers. You know what they say "Educate a woman and you educate a nation". I will keep you posted on the progress of the project.

2 comments:

Amy in Tacoma said...

I think what you're doing is wonderful. We're attempting to do the same, although with youth, here in Tacoma--I've written a few posts about it.

Quiskaeya said...

That is awesome. It's amazing what the beauty of nature can do to bright the spirits. I look forward to the updates on this mission.